Friday, September 19, 2008

Don't touch my baby!

When Adeline was two weeks old we took her to her pediatrician for her well visit. Everything went well, and we were told she would get her vaccinations at her two month visit, so I had the follow up question, "When can I take her out in public?". My pediatrician gave me a disapproving look as she told me, she would recommend we wait FOUR MONTHS. I nodded politely as I laughed hysterically in my head.
At two weeks, I was already stir crazy and desperately wanting social interaction.

So, a week later we took Adeline to Walmart to get a few essential grocery items. Strange, old ladies flocked to our buggy as we made our way through the store. A few peeked into the carrier without even hesitating to ask permission, but they all restrained themselves from touching her. Then we go to check out. The cashier was a chatty lady(the type who has no comprehension of what is appropriate conversation), who took it upon herself to walk around the bagging area and take Adeline's blanket off of her to touch her face. "She hasn't had her shot!", I spat out. The lady calmly turned to me and said, "Well they better not go near this baby with needles! She's too tiny for shots." I stared at her in shock and quickly moved the buggy out of her reach. Justin and I just stared at each other in disbelief over the clueless woman. Now when we go to Walmart, we use the Snuggly(People think twice before reaching in toward my boobs). It's always the strange people, because normal people have enough common sense to keep their hands to themselves.

At 6 1/2 weeks people still ask to see her, but I am quick to ask them not to touch her. Most people understand, but others pretend like that was not their intention. Our waitress at Logan's was a pretender. The woman had already made us upset by sitting at a table with a group of people(they were not her customers) and talking for 10 minutes and then 20 minutes while she ignored her tables. I guess she was trying to make up for that when she finally got to our table. She started going on and on about Adeline(like she appeared out of nowhere), and leans in to see her, and goes to take her blanket off. "Could you please not touch her. She hasn't had her shots.", I blurt out. The woman's hand freezes, then continues to move the blanket! Then she claims she had no intention of touching her, she just wanted to get a good look at her. Let me make this clear, I don't care what you are planning; do not touch a strangers baby! IT IS RUDE! We left her a $2.00 tip. I told Justin not to leave a dime. The woman didn't earn her hourly pay, much less a tip. So I may be a fool for bringing Adeline into public, but it doesn't give people an excuse to touch her. Do people not respect personal space anymore? Apparently not.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

The snuggly near the boobs. That is a smart move.

Christy said...

She is so cute I can see why people can't resist ;)

Christy said...

I love your new heading!!!

I meant to say that earlier...

And about the clothes and cd thefts... you are forgiven :) I am glad we are friends now!! You are precious to me. I had such a good time this weekend!